Database Administrator with at least 6 years experience is required for a large company based in Cape Town.
At least 6 years working experience with data in financial services
Extensive database development experience
Experience administrating databases larger than 100GB
Graduate student in Accounting, Investment Management or Computer Science fields (with strong Mathematical/Accounting background or subject knowledge an advantage.)
Good communication skills
Extensive knowledge of database theory
Advanced knowledge of database design
Knowledge about the RDBMS itself
Thorough knowledge of structured query language (SQL), e.g. SQL, Transact-SQL
Knowledge of distributed computing architectures, e.g. Client/Server, Internet/Intranet, Enterprise
Knowledge of the underlying operating system, e.g. Windows
Knowledge of storage technologies, memory management, disk arrays, NAS/SAN, networking
Knowledge of routine maintenance, recovery, and handling failover of a Database
Database optimisation skills
Ability to work under pressure, time management and to be able to multi-task multiple projects.
Programming experience as per above. MS Office Suite, with Excel/Office integration an advantage.
Knowledge of Portfolio and Trade Management Systems a distinct advantage, and in particular InvestOne, Decalog and Bloomberg AIM.
1. Installing and upgrading the database server and application tools
2. Allocating system storage and planning future storage requirements for the database system
3. Modifying the database structure, as necessary, from information given by application developers
4. Enrolling users and maintaining system security
5. Ensuring compliance with database vendor license agreement
6. Controlling and monitoring user access to the database
7. Monitoring and optimizing the performance of the database
8. Planning for backup and recovery of database information
9. Maintaining archived data
10. Contacting database vendor for technical support
11. Generating various reports by querying from database as per need
12. Perform database monitoring, tuning, and capacity planning
13. Architect and define backup/recovery strategies
14. Optimize database access and allocates/re-allocates database resources for optimum configuration, database performance, and cost
15. Manage schema changes and implementations
16. Implement advanced database security features
17. Install and maintain database products
18. Audit user activity to ensure integrity and performance of the database
19. Establish standards, policies, and procedures for database administration
20. Define and implement alerts on data.